This is the last step in our journey and in this step, we use the tarot not to interpret the cards, but, as Mary says, To Prosper. That is to say, we use the tarot to spiritually nourish ourself – to awaken our heart. We will use the tarot as a sort of a map or guide to become the person we wish to be. – to enlighten ourself.
In this final exercise, we are going to use what we learned over the course of these 21 steps to create an affirmation that we will use on a daily basis. I have seen firsthand the success of affirmations so don’t be too quick to discard them. Their result can be surprising.
I will not include my own answers to the questions here as this exercise should be experienced on a personal level and it is best done over a period of time (21 days or longer).
CREATE THE AFFIRMATION
- Keeping in mind the entire range of meanings of your chosen card, describe the qualities you see in this card that you most want to develop within yourself. Imagine yourself 5 or 10 years in the future, looking back at this time and say, “This situation was worth it because I developed….” Write down as many thoughts as you can in 1-2 minutes.
- Expand on one or two of your keywords and phrases, asking such questions as how, why, when or where.
- If you used no, not, nothing, or any other form of negative, turn it into a positive. For instance, if you wrote “I am not sick” write instead “I am healthy on all levels.”
- Write an affirmation (a positive statement about yourself) using the words & phrases that you have written down. Make sure the affirmation is in the first person, it is short & precise and use only words from your list.
- Edit your affirmation to be action-oriented. Change passive verbs to active verbs and avoid forms of “to be.” Turn one of your words into a verb. For example, change “I am graceful” to “I gracefully…..” Change the affirmation to the present tense. Example: change “I will dance” to “I dance”. Now say your affirmation 3 times out loud, making sure you put emotion behind it. If you don’t find the affirmation convincing, edit it until you do.
USING YOUR AFFIRMATION
- Now say the affirmation 3 times out loud, 3 times a day for 21 days.
- Commit yourself in writing – write out your affirmation 100 times. Print it out and tape it where you will see it daily.
- Raise energy – put some emotion into it. Act it out.
- Notice where in your life the affirmation has made a difference, where it has become “true”.
- Imagine yourself doing the affirmation in other circumstances, applying as much detail as possible to your imagination.
I hope you have enjoyed our Apprentice journey through 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card. But not to fret – our journey is not over yet. Stay tuned as we take our tarot skills to the next level and journey through the Adept sections of 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card. Coming soon!
Get 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card HERE
Get the Kindle Version HERE