Deck: The Wizard’s Tarot
This post is part of my 45 Experiment: Using the daily tarot draw to bring more financial abundance into our life. I will be using the Wizard’s Tarot by Corrine Kenner and John J. Bluemen for this experiment’s deck.
Day 3: What can I do to bring more financial abundance into my life?
The Dark Lord
In the Wizard’s Tarot, the Dark Lord card is the equivalent of The Devil card in the Rider-Waite-Smith tradition. In this rendition of The Devil, the Professor of The Dark Arts restrains two students who he has temporarily (we hope!) transformed into toads. In the companion book, Corrine tells us that the students are learning a lesson and the chains are a symbol of ignorance that they have created themselves. They didn’t take advantage of the freedom that education provided them so instead, found themselves in bondage, held captive by someone else. This strikes me as perhaps someone who refuses to get education that can improve their skills so instead stay enslaved in their current rut.
The inverted pentagram in this particular image symbolizes the mistakes that the students have made, representing a reversal of normal priorities. What are your priorities at the moment? Is bringing in extra income at the top of your priority list? What do you have to do to get it there?
Astrologically, this card corresponds to Capricorn and often points to the weaknesses and temptations in the material world – the pitfalls of our existence. These could include sloth, greed, envy, pride, excess, ignorance or unhealthy addictions. So how does this tie in with financial abundance? All of these unhealthy traits mentioned above can bring about the downfall of a business person as well as prevent someone from moving ahead in their financial goals. Looking at some real world examples:
- Procrastination. You have the dream but not the drive. Doing it tomorrow isn’t going to cut it. Take action today.
- Excess: unnecessary expenses. Do you really need a daily Starbucks infusion? How about that monthly cable bill? Or your bar bill? All of these little expenses add up. This card might be a call to examine each one of your expenses to see what can be eliminated. What monthly bills can you get rid of?
- Too focused on lack. Some folks are so focused on the lack of what they have, that they don’t make the effort to go out and obtain what they do want.
- Expensive or Time-Consuming Addictions. Do you smoke cigarettes? Smoke pot? Spend precious hours surfing the Internet? Have other addictions that cost money? This could be another expense to trim down.
- Comparing yourself to others. This is where the envy fits in. Comparing your work to the work of others can often make your own efforts seem inadequate. Don’t do it. Instead, realize the value of your own style and appreciate that everyone does things differently – and not necessarily better.
- Depression. Sometimes, depression can give us a feeling of hopelessness and it can murder our motivation. If you suspect that you might suffer from depression, see your doctor. There are a lot of options out there that can help you.
- Being stuck. Many of us are stuck in a rut because we don’t take the necessary steps to bring about change. Like the last two cards indicated, nothing can be changed unless you take action…even small steps.
The appearance of The Dark Lord in today’s drawing made me think about our dark side, the things that prevent us from doing what we set out to do. Laziness, procrastination, lack of focus or being prone to easily give up might make up the darker side of our personality. Do any of these strike a cord with you? Once you recognize a “dark” behavior, what can you do to change it? The chains that bind the two frogs also make me think of restraint, which is not always a bad thing. Sometimes, we need to show a bit of restraint in our habits and/or spending to change our financial situation.
Usually Capricorns are hard workers and high achievers so this card is a hint that to bring more money in your life, you may have to put in some additional hours. Is there overtime available where you work? How about a second part time job? This card reminded me of a pet sitting/pet walking business. I have a friend who brought in quite of extra money doing this to the point that it became a full time business. You’d be surprised how many people need their pets tended to during the day while they are at work or when they are on vacation. Many are willing to pay nicely for it too. How about a part-time job at a zoo? Such options are ideal part-time or even full-time work if you are an animal lover.
This card may also be yet another gentle reminder that it’s time to bring your own ideas for projects or products into the physical world. Even though you might have a full time job, you will need to make extra time to get your project out there if you wish to change your financial situation.
It’s interesting to note that Capricorn is ruled by Saturn, the planet of boundaries and limitations. This might be a call that it’s time you set some boundaries between work and play. You might need to spend a little more time working on your dreams and a little less time out playing. Yeah, I know. But the long-term rewards are the payoff.
Possible occupations for the Dark Lord: Pet sitter, pet walker, debt collector, bartender, worker in the pharmaceutical industry, locksmith, prison warden, clothes designer, zoo keeper, biologist, biology teacher, nightshift worker, farmer, worker in a new age store, pet store employee, animal trainer, art professor, and any position of leadership.